The winter is great for us all wanting to wrap up warm and eat comfort foods. Soup is one of those comfort foods that we adore here in the this house but as you know by now I am not a massive fan of spending hours in the kitchen.
Personally I’m a chuck it in a pan and run kinda gal so anything that can be popped in a slow cooker is a bonus in my book after all there is nothing nicer than 10 minutes of prep in the morning and a tasty tea waiting for you later on! But I guess you have been reading about why I love my slow cooker so you know that anyway.
This super quick to prep slow cooker soup could also be adapted from mushroom to carrot or even leak with very little tweaks so it can be adapted to your family taste preference.
- * 1 large white onion diced
- * 1 package white button mushrooms (10 oz sliced)
- * 10 stalks fresh thyme, leaves removed
- * 1 tsp of vegetable base
- * 1 tbsp cornstarch
- * 2 cup water
- * 1 cup heavy cream
- * 1 dried bay leaf
- * 1/2 tsp. salt
- * Pinch of ground pepper
- Wash and de-stem the mushrooms. Save the stems for later.
- Slice the mushroom caps and sauté them for roughly 3-5 mins or until tender.
- While the caps are sauteing, dice the stems and onion together.
- Once the caps are done, add them to the slow cooker.
- Add the stems and onions as well.
- While those are sauteing, prepare the fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Dice the rosemary leaves, so they are same size as the thyme leaf.
- Add the rosemary and thyme mix to the slow cooker.
- Mix the vegetable base and water together in a bowl and add to the slow cooker.
- Next pour in the cornstarch, salt, pepper,
- Add a bay leaf and heavy cream.
- Stir all ingredients together and seal the lid.
- Set slow cooker to high for 4 hours or set to low for 8 hours.
- Once done, stir thoroughly and serve!