Since I am fairly new on this baking journey I was thrilled when Stork asked me to try and bake a version of their Zesty Lemon Celebration cake with their new Stork with Butter and knowing Ollie loved his lemon cakes I jumped at the chance!
So firstly what is the new Stork with Butter? … It is designed for baking due to its unique qualities:
* A perfect blend of Stork and butter makes cakes light and fluffy with a delicious buttery taste while also delivering rich, creamy and smooth icing
* A unique combination of oils and butter makes it easier to mix with other ingredients
* It’s ready to use straight from the fridge
* Its composition results in a more even and increased rise of your bakes
* It creates more volume as you mix, producing a lighter, fluffier texture
So how did I get on baking my first ever Lemon Cake?
Well, I have to say this recipe was super simple and in fact it was far easier than I had imagined and to top it off Ollie claimed it was the nicest cake he had eaten!
The cake itself was really really fluffy and crumbly but held together while cutting which made it a little easier and no wastage!
I added a little more lemon juice into the sponge and into the icing than the original Stork recipe and I think it only added to the flavour.
- 225g (8 oz) Stork with butter
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar
- 100g Stork with butter
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Filling and decoration
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- A few silver balls
- Crystallized lemon: 1 lemon, 40g caster sugar
- Add butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour with the last egg to prevent curdling.
- Put in the remaining flour and lemon zest and mix until throughly mixed together.
- Grease and line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.
- Add in the cake mixture.
- Bake in the oven on middle shelf of oven 180°C, 160°C fan, Gas 4 for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire tray.
- Add icing sugar, butter and milk in a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth. ( I added in a squirt of lemon juice)
- Cut lemon peel into long strands, add into saucepan with 40g caster sugar and 100ml of water and cook over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves... boil then simmer for a further 10 mins and the place on baking sheets for 5 minutes to cool.
- Put lemon curd on one half along with 1/3 of the buttercream icing and then place the top on.
- Spread the remaining icing to the cake.
- Decorate with silver balls and the crystallized lemon.